When i first started getting into alchemy i was abit confused on what i needed tobuy and where to go to next so i hope this will help anybody who is a little confused.
Remember this is only a guide there is diffrent ways to get the books and skills required i just found this quicker.
I will try and descripe these in steps so they are easy to follow:
Getting the skill books and required tools
1) Goto "Grocery merchant" in "Magocean Village" there you will need to buy;
* Gathering Skill Book
* Gathering Cleaver
(This will come to a total of around 2000)
2) After buying the skill books and Gathering tool open you backpack and right click on them (This will learn you the skill books you have bought and place the gathering cleaver in your hand)
3) You will then need to go to a herbal plant to begain Gahering you will find a level 1 "Magic Grass Plant" near the top left of the map "Magocean Village" (To open the map just press M)
4) Once you have found the "Magic Grass Plant" left click it and you will begain gathering the herb
5) Once you have collected all the herbs you need (Anything above 10 will be enough just to get you used to it) you need to go to "Sky City"
6) Once in "Sky City" go and find the NPC called "Grocery Merchant" here you will need to buy another skill book called "Alchemy" which will allow you to make potions (Once again right click on the book to learn the skill)
7) Now also in sky city find another NPC called "Production Princible" the left click on her and a new window will appear
8) In the new window click "Compose" then click "Alchemy" here you will get a few options asking you what you cant to compose select "Minor HP Potion" then click on "Compose" and wait for your potion to compose (TIP: if you are composing more then one of the same potion you can click on "Produce All" and this will automaticly create all of the potions you have choosen as long as you dont run out of herbs)
9) YOUR DONE close the open window and open your backpack and you will have the potions you have created.
I hope this guide has been of help to some players and i am sorry if anything is incorrect as some of this was from memory..
Enjoy and feel free to PM me if you have any questions